Wednesday 6 October 2010

3 days in...


Let’s see…

Wines tasted? Zero.
Beers drunk? A few.
Vodkas drunk? A few too many.
Hours of sleep? Still not enough.
Famous bridges visited? None.

So after recovering from my Jetlag on Monday, I was feeling reasonably with it on Tuesday morning for orientation at the Work and Travel Company. Enter Chris, a guy from York who I met at the office.
‘You fancy a couple of beers tonight Ally?’
He didn’t mean a ‘couple’ of beers, he meant a few rounds of vodka with some Germans, followed by several beers and vodkas at the local cattle market known as ‘The Gaff’.

And so it was that on Wednesday morning I woke up what you might call ‘a bit of a thick head’ after having got to bed around 4am, thus eradicating the benefits of Monday’s sleep-fest.
After staggering to Breakfast and drinking my bodyweight in water I rewarded myself with a few more hours of slumber and woke again around lunchtime, convincing myself that it was the time difference that was messing with my head rather than the recent and wilful destruction of brain cells.
Right, I thought, time to try and achieve something with the day by updating my profile online. I duly spent the next hour entering my entire life history and checking and re-checking before saving it on the agency website.

Or so I thought. Just before pressing ‘save’, my computer decided that it didn’t trust the internet connection I had been using all week and made the frankly rash decision to shut it down and all work was lost.
After retrieving my laptop from the pavement two storeys below, I went through the whole process again, this time saving every five minutes. Success!

Tedious work completed I had a brief conversation with my Grandfather via Skype (I know, I know…) and then with Brett, a friend of a friend who works freelance for a few wineries in New Zealand and is sorting out some work in the new year. Cue funny looks all round as Brett and me try to have a conversation and I realise the connection isn’t working properly and to all intents and purposes, I’m just talking to myself.
Resolve to get up early tomorrow, go and see the harbour bridge and learn how to use Skype, not necessarily in that order.

Happy Birthday Gran, by the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment